At their recent winter retreat, the GWLA Board agreed to sponsor Lender-Only participation for so all GWLA member institutions participating in reciprocal borrowing can join in the Relais D2D project!
Monies will come from the GWLA Opportunity Fund. The decision was unanimous.
The board overwhelmingly felt that this project reflects GWLA's core values of supporting resource sharing and leveraging our collective strength with innovation and experimentation. By approving these funds they wish encourage the broadest member participation possible.
The benefits we expect from the Relais software include:
· Load-leveling capability to modulate the long-standing net borrower & net lender imbalance within GWLA.
· Quicker turnaround times and faster delivery of requested materials to patrons.
· Workflow efficiencies to save staff time.
· Strong reporting of transaction data to support assessment of the services we provide to patrons.
Want to join?
· Lender-Only participants will not incur any financial costs ($0) for the first three years of the project. At this time, seven libraries have already indicated that they will participate at this level from the beginning of the project. Any other library wishing to join at this level may do so at any time over the course of the three year pilot.
The deadline for additional institutions to commit to Lender-Only participation has been extended to the end of the business day, Friday, February 22 to Anne McKee (Anne@GWLA.org).
· Full Implementers for both Lending and Borrowing will incur a one-time participation fee for 3 years. The target for 'going live' is August, 2013, just in time for the fall semester.
The deadline for additional institutions to commit to Full Implementer participation has been extended to the end of the business day, Friday, February 22 to Anne McKee (Anne@GWLA.org)
· Can’t join right now? Institutions not joining this first wave of implementation will be given another opportunity to join as either Lenders Only or as Full Implementers (both borrowing and lending) in the fall of 2013 or early spring 2014. Institutions starting out as Lenders will be able to 'upgrade' to Borrowing and Lending with the 2nd cohort in late 2013 or early 2014.
Need more information?
David Larsen from the University of Chicago did a webinar for us about the CIC’s implementation of Relais D2D, which can be seen here.
Attached is a PDF of some screen shots illustrating how Relais D2D integrates into a variety of ILS and discovery services. The Relais Getting Started Guide (also attached) also contains a few screen shots and will give you an idea of the kinds of information you would need to provide to set up your library as a Lender.
Please contact Lars Hagelin, our Project Manager for Relais (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Our thanks go out to the following great folks who came up with the idea to have the GWLA Opportunity Fund to support this project and developed the funding proposal:
James Williams, Dean of Libraries, University of Colorado Boulder
Lorraine Haricombe, Dean of Libraries, University of Kansas
Naomi Chow, University of Hawai’i at Mānoa, RSDD Chair 2013-2014
Nora Dethloff, University of Houston, Past RSDD Chair 2011-2012 and Chair, GWLA Joint Task Force on Discovery & Delivery Systems
Brice Austin, University of Colorado-Boulder, GWLA Joint Task Force on Discovery & Delivery Systems