Assistant Librarian – STEM -- Texas Tech University
Post date: Jan 27, 2020
TITLE: Assistant Librarian – STEM (Open Rank)
The Texas Tech University Libraries has an opening for a proactive, creative, and inventive Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Librarian at our fast-paced, innovative campus. The primary assignment of this tenure-track position is to provide reference, instruction, and collection development in these areas. Additionally, the STEM librarian will support data and technology initiatives of the University Libraries, work closely with colleagues and students and engage in research and collaborative opportunities. While this position’s focus will be to work with faculty across the STEM disciplines the candidate will be encouraged to seek interdisciplinary research opportunities and connections across campus and throughout the Tech System.
- Actively participate in the library’s instruction and outreach program with a heavy emphasis on promoting information literacy to STEM related disciplines.
- Provide reference services in creative and innovative ways including personal contact with departments and utilizing various technology tools.
- Develop and maintain STEM reference materials in both print and digital forms as well as making specific recommendations to purchase research materials germane to the STEM fields.
- Contribute to chat service and other virtual reference services as needed.
- Maintain as well as enhance web-based research guides pertinent to assigned STEM areas.
- Contribute substantially to the planning, development and assessment of departmental policies.
- Participate on library committees and cross functional teams as assigned.
- Faculty are expected to participate in library, college, and university governance.
QUALIFICATIONS: Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited institution or international equivalent.
- Undergraduate or advanced degree in a STEM field.
- Experience or course work in the use of reference and research tools with special emphasis in STEM fields.
- Evidence of a strong customer service orientation coupled with an ability to interact positively and productively in a collegial academic environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Understanding of current trends and issues in this area, including digitization, institutional repositories and open access textbooks.
- Evidence of ability to meet Texas Tech Libraries’ requirements for promotion and tenure.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: The position is a 12-month appointment with a nationally competitive salary. Librarians and archivists have academic status and are an integral part of the academic teaching and research mission of the University. Comprehensive benefits include choice of retirement programs, including TIAA-CREF; 12-17 state holidays; developmental leave opportunities; moving allowance; and no state or local income tax.
APPLICATION INFORMATION: To apply for this position, please visit the Texas Tech University Personnel site at: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/hr/workattexastech/. Select Faculty. Please fill out the electronic application and attach a cover letter indicating qualifications and interest in the position, current vita, and names and contact information of three professional references. Submission of applications is preferred by March 1, 2020.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, Texas Tech University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We actively encourage applications from all those who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community at Texas Tech University. The university welcomes applications from minorities, women, protected veterans, persons with disabilities, and dual-career couples.