Associate Dean of Libraries -- West Virginia University
Post date: Feb 22, 2019
West Virginia University Libraries seek applications and nominations for an energetic, creative, and collaborative Associate Dean to provide leadership and oversight for customer service and user experience, acquisitions and collection management, digital initiatives, technology, research services, instruction, facilities, and safety. The Associate Dean will oversee the activities of 7 department heads and directors and will facilitate communication and collaboration across library units and locations, ensuring progress as the Libraries build a learning organization. The Associate Dean will foster a collegial atmosphere that rewards professional growth, innovation, and scholarly contributions to the field and will provide administrative oversight of the library’s peer review process for library faculty. The Associate Dean will participate in library management decisions, including short and long-range planning and budget development and monitoring. The Associate Dean will also engage and develop collaborative relationships across campus and the profession to ensure that processes, structures, facilities and initiatives align with campus needs and priorities and with professional standards and best practices.
- Master’s degree from an American Library Association accredited program
- Five years of academic library experience
- Ability to inspire, build trust, foster innovation, and empower staff growth
- Ability to lead collaborative organizational change
- Experience with personnel management and working collaboratively with all levels of library personnel to promote teamwork, diversity, equity, and inclusiveness
- Strong interpersonal and public communication skills in order to serve as an advocate and spokesperson for the Libraries.
- Track record of building strong internal and external relationships
- In-depth knowledge in one or more areas of library operations
- Sustained record of professional achievement and engagement (service on professional committees and initiatives; research and publication)
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects having impact on critical operations of the organization
- Keen analytical and conceptual abilities
- Knowledge of trends and best practices in higher education
- Knowledge of trends and best practices in academic libraries
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline
- Experience integrating scholarly communications, data services, digital humanities or special collections into academic library services
- Experience in financial management
- Success in grant writing and seeking new sources of funding
- Knowledge of library and information technologies policy issues
- Knowledge and skill with organizational and human resource development, process improvement, problem-solving, and change management techniques
As an integral part of a land-grant institution, West Virginia University Libraries serve the university community, with an enrollment of 31,514 students, and state residents. The library system is composed of the Downtown Campus Library, Evansdale Library, Health Science Library, West Virginia and Regional History Center, and libraries at Potomac State College and WVU Institute of Technology Beckley. Collections include more than 3.5 million books, 431,000 eBooks, and 96,000 online journals. WVU Libraries belong to the Pennsylvania Academic Library Consortium, Inc. (PALCI), the Greater Western Library Alliance (GWLA), the Center for Research Libraries (CRL), the Library Publishing Coalition (LPC), the Open Textbook Network (OTN), the Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR), SPARC and the Digital Library Federation (DLF). WVU Libraries value diversity and provide a supportive and inclusive environment for librarians, fostering innovation and professional development. WVUL is a founding member of the ACRL Diversity Alliance.
Located in the scenic rolling hills of Morgantown, WV, West Virginia University is a land-grant institution and the state’s flagship university. It is ranked as a Research University (Highest Research Activity) in the 2018 Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education and is also among the top 100 public universities in U.S. News and World Reports Best Colleges. It is a vibrant campus of 15 colleges and schools offering 193 bachelors, masters, doctoral, and professional degree programs.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, and veterans.
Application materials must be submitted online at https://wvu.taleo.net/careersection/faculty/jobdetail.ftl?job=11157
Please upload a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for 3 professional references. Review of applications will begin March 20th and continue until the position is filled.