Associate Librarian - Assistant Dean for User Services-- University of Wyoming
Post date: Nov 25, 2019
Associate Librarian - Assistant Dean for User Services - (19004941)
The University of Wyoming invites diverse applicants to consider our employment opportunities. We are also especially interested in candidates who have experience working with diverse populations and/or diverse initiatives.
The University of Wyoming Libraries seeks applicants for an Assistant Dean for User Services. This position reports to the Associate Dean of Libraries and provides leadership, vision, and management for the User Services Division. Units within User Services include circulation, interlibrary loan, stacks maintenance, mailroom, and the Studio Coe and One Button Studio digital production labs, all located at W.R. Coe Library, as well as two branch libraries and a storage annex located on the main UW campus. This position reports to the Associate Dean of Libraries.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Foster teamwork, cooperation, and communication within the User Services division. Oversee division budget forecasting and expenditures.
- Hire, mentor, and direct unit supervisors and faculty members in the division. Set performance goals and approve timesheets and leave for six direct reports, and approve hiring, terminations, and compensation changes for all faculty, benefited staff and student employees in User Services division.
- Plan and implement service initiatives, policies and workflows within the division, including tracking and reporting statistics, resolving technology or vendor issues, and facilitating communication and cooperation with other library divisions and campus partners.
- Anticipate and support emerging trends in library learning commons, resource sharing, and access services.
- Participate in the Libraries leadership team, including library-wide budget forecasting and analysis, staffing, marketing, and strategic planning.
- Encourage professional development, mentoring, and cross-training for employee growth and job satisfaction.
- Maintain and strengthen campus partnerships with UW police, dining and vending operations, information technology, makerspaces, and physical plant to ensure smooth operations of services and security within UW Libraries facilities. Monitor building issues at W.R. Coe Library and branch libraries. Coordinate with Albany County School District #1 on UW Libraries branch operations in UW Lab School (K-8).
- Represent UW Libraries in university or consortia meetings as needed. Participate in Library Development Board meetings and outreach to donors and other UW Libraries supporters.
- Participate in library faculty activities including scholarship; service; faculty governance; reappointment, tenure, & promotion; and professional development.
- Assist frontline staff with answering research questions and addressing user complaints.
As a member of the library faculty, the successful candidate is expected to pursue an active and ongoing program of research, service and professional development. http://www.uwyo.edu/regs-policies/_files/docs/section-2-regulations-july-2018/uw_reg_2-409_format_effective_7-1-18.pdf.
The Assistant Dean salary includes a base salary, minimum of $70,000, + a $7,500 yearly administrative stipend.
The position is open until filled. We will begin screening applicants on January 2, 2020.
- ALA-accredited MLS, MIS, or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years professional experience in an academic library
- Minimum 3 years demonstrated successful supervisory and personnel management experience
- Ability to foster a collaborative teamwork environment, manage change, and resolve conflict
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Strong customer service ethic and commitment to patron privacy
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues, trends and technologies impacting higher education and libraries
- Record of scholarly publishing and professional service
- Experience with one or more aspects of user services: circulation, reserves, resource sharing, or stacks maintenance
- Experience managing innovative and emerging technology labs
- Experience implementing and evaluating library services and policies
- Experience addressing user complaints about policies or billing
- Knowledge of copyright and fair use as it pertains to libraries
- Experience managing budgets for staffing, technology, and/or equipment
Complete the online application and upload the following for a complete application: cover letter, resume or C.V. and contact information for four work-related references.
UW is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. We are committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation to apply for a position, please call 307-766-2377 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Wyoming is located in Laramie, a town of 30,000 in the heart of the Rocky Mountain West. The state of Wyoming continues to invest in its university, helping to make it a leader in academics, research and outreach. The university has state-of-the-art facilities in many areas and the community provides the advantages of a major university.
Located in a high mountain valley near the Colorado border, Laramie offers both outstanding recreational opportunities and close proximity to Colorado’s Front Range, a bustling group of metropolitan cities including Denver, Boulder, and Fort Collins. This beautiful mountain landscape offers outdoor enjoyment in all seasons, with over 300 days of sunshine annually. For more information about the region, please visit http://visitlaramie.org/