Data Library Curator-- The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME), University of Washington
Post date: Oct 03, 2019
The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent global health research center at the University of Washington that provides rigorous and comparable measurement of the world’s most important health problems and evaluates the strategies used to address them. IHME makes this information freely available so that policymakers have the evidence they need to make informed decisions about how to allocate resources to best improve population health.
IHME has an outstanding opportunity for a Data Library Curator to join our team. The Data Library Curator will be responsible for cataloging large amounts of health data from a variety of data sources, e.g., health surveys, censuses, facility records and administrative data. The Data Library Curator’s work will significantly contribute to the Global Health Data Exchange (GHDx), IHME’s health and demographic data catalog. The Data Library Curator will be familiar with different types of files and data, particularly health and demographic datasets; be meticulous with naming files and assigning proper metadata; and possess sufficient Internet and research savvy to perform data-seeking and find accurate information about data sources.
Catalog data accurately and completely in an online content management system, including the following duties:
- Understand internal cataloging guidelines and assign proper metadata, to ensure data can be easily found and accessed
- Conduct research for metadata about datasets, including publishers, authors, contributing and funding organizations
- Find, research, and eliminate inconsistencies in metadata
- Document file management and cataloging progress thoroughly
- Evaluate data to maintain data security and HIPAA compliance
Organize large amounts of data (file formats such as Word, Excel, CSV, TXT, PDF, STATA and SAS), including the following duties:
- Move, rename and associate files with GHDx records, based on detailed guidelines
- Use tools like FileBoss, BeyondCompare, and Stat/Transfer to efficiently organize and convert data files
Collaborate with IHME researchers on the intake and cataloging of health and demographic data, including the following duties:
- Communicate via a ticketing system and provide timely and quality customer service
- Conduct routine data-seeking and data downloads for research projects
- Implement strategies for cataloging composite datasets and their underlying sources
- Promote proper data management and citation practices at IHME
Perform duties that improve team workflow processes and enhance the GHDx, including:
- Create and update cataloging standards and documentation
- Provide feedback to colleagues about cataloging and file management
- Maintain and add content to controlled vocabularies in the GHDx
Request GHDx features, functions, and fixes and assist database developers with testing
Master’s Degree in library science, information management, or (science) data management and two years’ related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, self-motivation, and flexibility
- Strong team and collaboration skills
- Previous indexing or cataloging experience
- Interest in global health and global health research
- Ability to work in a highly structured role that requires critical thinking while operating in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment
- Strong sense of focus and attention to detail
- Online research skills
- Familiarity with assessing materials in foreign languages and using online translation tools
Conditions of Employment: Evening and weekend work may be required.