Digital Scholarship Specialist-- University of Oklahoma
Post date: Aug 05, 2019
Digital Scholarship Specialist (Librarian II)
The University of Oklahoma seeks a librarian who will provide leadership and support for a dynamic, multi-faceted program that addresses the growing demand for digital scholarship research and teaching on campus. Reporting to the Head of the Digital Scholarship at OU Libraries, the Digital Scholarship Specialist will foster exploration and application of digital tools and new approaches to research, teaching, and learning. The Digital Scholarship Librarian will serve as a strategist and resource person for both faculty and students in identifying and integrating of digital scholarship technologies and methodologies.
- In collaboration with the Head of the Digital Scholarship at OU Libraries, this position will be responsible for supporting faculty research and teaching in the field of digital scholarship.
- Enable faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate students to explore new research practices and digital tools that may include mining and analyzing text, curating digital resources, and visualizing data.
- Document and analyze digital scholarship research workflows and tools to identify places where OU libraries can add value.
- Work with library colleagues - Emerging Technologies Librarians, Research Data Management Specialist, Director of Informatics, and Subject Specialists – to coordinate the provision of instruction and support for digital scholarship.
- Collaboratively plan and facilitate digital scholarship student and faculty fellowship program.
- Teach series of hands-on workshops, such as Software Carpentry, GIS tools, text and data analysis tools.
- Provide training, support, and expertise on existing and emerging research tools and workflows.
- With the Head of the Digital Scholarship, plan and coordinate hosting public symposia and other events for academic and general community to foster a learning community in digital scholarship.
- Participate in professional organization activities through professional memberships and continuing education.
Successful candidates will….
- Solve problems flexibly, creatively, and with a strong commitment to service excellence.
- Take initiative, be self-directed, and innovate.
- Collaborate across organizational boundaries.
- Utilize strong organizational, project, and time management skills to lead or coordinate multiple projects, working with minimal supervision.
- Bachelor's Degree in library science or a related field AND:
- At least 24 months of experience working with digital scholarship research tools and techniques (e.g., data mining, data visualization, text mining, spatial analysis, etc.) and demonstrated ability to teach others how to use such technology.
- Master's Degree in library science or a related field.
- Familiarity with research methodologies across a variety of social sciences and humanities disciplines.
- Experience with data analysis and data visualization methods (Python libraries, R, Tableau Public, Voyant, Juxta).
- Experience with digital curation tools (WordPress, Omeka, ArcGIS Story Maps, Drupal, etc.).
- Experience and/or demonstrated record of effective project management working with students and faculty members on digital scholarship projects.
Digital Scholarship Specialist - Full Description