Head of Metadata Services-- West Virginia University
Post date: Jan 7, 2020
West Virginia University (WVU) Libraries seek applications and nominations for an innovative, collaborative, and tech-savvy Head of Metadata Services to provide leadership, direction, support, project management, and workflow analysis for both the Knowledge Access and Resource Management (KARM) department and WVU Libraries to ensure accurate metadata and data analysis services. The Head leads the Metadata and Data Services teams. The incumbent collaborates across the West Virginia University Libraries ensuring metadata integrity for the Library Management System and is responsible for the original and complex copy cataloging of the materials held within the collections. This position also provides training and support in data analysis and visualization, report creation, metadata creation and remediation, ontologies, schemas, and standards.
WVU Libraries seek self-motivated applicants who thrive in a progressive learning environment/learning organization with a strong service delivery and ability to adapt to changing needs and priorities. Candidates seeking to use their experience in team building and project management to help develop and administer strategic projects, collaborate across departments and the library system while developing and supporting staff and diversity in the workplace are encouraged to apply.
- ALA accredited Master of Library Science degree (or equivalent)
- At least 3 years post-MLS cataloging and technical services experience in an academic, special, or public library, supervisory experience desired.
- Experience cataloging materials, both original and complex copy with significant knowledge of and ability to apply cataloguing tools (RDA, AACR2, LCSH, LCC, FAST headings and MARC21 formats) for bibliographic and authority data.
- Knowledge of and experience with non-MARC metadata schemes (BIBFRAME) and those used for access to digital collections and institutional repositories.
- Knowledge of linked data and semantic web applications (RDF, SPARQL) and IT processes (e.g. scripting, FTP, etc.) used in Technical Services.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills. Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Five years of recent cataloging and supervisory experience in an academic or research library.
- Experience with a national cooperative cataloging program such as PCC (NACO, BIBCO, CONSER or SACO).
- Knowledge of data migration, data visualization, data analysis in libraries
- Knowledge of manipulating data using Access, Excel, SQL, VBA etc.
- Knowledge of the following: library acquisitions, electronic resource management, and knowledgebases.
We welcome all applicants including early career librarians and anticipate filling this position at the rank of Assistant or Associate University Librarian. Rank and salary are dependent upon post-MLS experience and credentials.
Librarians at WVU hold non-tenured faculty appointments, and a record of job performance, professional development/research, and service is required for reappointment and promotion in rank. All librarians are members of the Library Faculty Assembly and participate in the professional life of this organization.
As an integral part of a land-grant institution, West Virginia University Libraries serve the university community, with an enrollment of approx. 30,000 students, and state residents. The library system is composed of the Downtown Campus Library, Charles C. Wise Jr. Library, Evansdale Library, Health Science Library, West Virginia and Regional History Center, and libraries at Potomac State College and West Virginia Institute of Technology. Onsite collections include more than 2.5 million books, 740K+ eBooks, and over 90,000 online journals. WVU Libraries belong to the Pennsylvania Academic Library Consortium, Inc. (PALCI) and the Greater Western Library Association (GWLA). Library website is http://library.wvu.edu.
Located in the scenic rolling hills of Morgantown, WV. West Virginia University is a land-grant institution and the state’s flagship university. It is ranked as an R1 Research University (Highest Research Activity) in the 2018 Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education and is also among the top public universities in U.S. News and World Reports Best Colleges. It is a vibrant campus of 14 colleges and schools offering 350+ bachelors, masters, doctoral, and professional degree programs. Meeting the needs of today's professional couples is a critical factor in WVU's success in recruiting and retaining new faculty and senior staff. For more information about WVU, visit https://www.wvu.edu/about-wvu. Our Dual Career Program assists couples in your employment search. WVU belongs to the OH/Western PA/WV Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC). Please visit https://careers.wvu.edu/career-opportunities/dual-career-program and https://www.hercjobs.org/regions/higher-ed-careers-ohio/ for more information and job postings. Reimbursement for moving expenses is available.
A letter of application, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for 3 professional references are required. Review of applications will begin February 1, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, and veterans.