South Dakota State University’s Hilton M. Briggs Library is soliciting applications for the position of Associate or Full Librarian/Head of Technical Services to lead, coordinate, and administer the library’s Technical Services Department, encompassing acquisitions, electronic resources/serials, cataloging/metadata services, systems, computer support, and bindery. The Technical Services Department consists of three library faculty and 6.5 FTE paraprofessionals in addition to the department head. This is a 12-month, 100% time, benefits-eligible position that is supervised by the Dean of the Library.
South Dakota State University promotes access to and opportunities for all to receive the benefit of and participate in education, research, and service and is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to this land-grant mission of access.
· Plan, coordinate, and facilitate departmental activities and provide leadership in setting goals and priorities. Responsible for overall operational efficiency of the department.
Hire, mentor, direct, motivate, support, supervise, and evaluate Technical Services faculty and staff.
· Work with the Dean of the Library, the Head of Public Services, and the Coordinator of Archives & Special Collections to provide leadership and enhance cooperation.
· Serve as a member of the library’s Management Team, sharing in policy-making decisions, planning, and management responsibilities.
· Project, prepare, and monitor the library’s materials budget; serve as the primary Technical Services contact with acquisition vendors; establish and maintain business relationships with vendors and assess vendor performance.
· Play a key role in developing strategies and implementing the next generation of library management systems, services, and resources.
· Coordinate and administer cataloging/metadata activity for both digital and physical library resources.
Develop and strengthen campus, local, statewide, and regional partnerships.
Develop, revise, and implement policies, procedures, and strategies.
Coordinate collection development, working with librarians and faculty to build both the physical and electronic collections.
· ALA-accredited master's degree in library or information science or equivalent.
· Second earned graduate degree
· At least 10 years experience as a professional librarian (for rank of associate librarian) or 15 years (for rank of librarian)
· Recent experience in technical services in an academic, research, or large public library.
· Supervisory or administrative experience.
· Demonstrated knowledge of/experience with acquisitions, license negotiations, and cataloging/metadata.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
· Knowledge of current trends and new developments in technical services and digital library initiatives.
· Knowledge of/experience working with current and emerging metadata standards and models from the library and digital library communities, such as RDA/AACR2, MARC21, FRBR-LRM, and Dublin Core.
· Experience with integrated library systems.
$90,000 minimum; commensurate with qualifications.
South Dakota State University offers a wide range of benefits including medical, dental, and flexible benefits, retirement plans, compensation packages, paid holidays, and vacation leave. Employees also have access to internal and state-sponsored training as well as reduced tuition for state-supported courses at all State of South Dakota academic institutions.
Position is open until filled.
SDSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu, search by the position title, view the job announcement, and click on “apply for this job.” This system will guide you through the electronic application form. This employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement, curriculum vitae, and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, successful completion of a criminal background check.
South Dakota State University is a tobacco free environment. It is university policy to maintain a drug-free environment and to thereby establish, promote, and maintain a safe and healthy working and learning environment for employees and students. This position is subject to South Dakota State University’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy 4:14.
For questions on the position, contact Shari Theroux at (605) 688-5560 or firstname.lastname@example.org