Library Consortium Director— Community College League of California
Post date: May 07, 2020
Salary Range: $90-100,000
The Assistant Director of District Services will act as the Library Resources Consortium Director and take primary responsibility for the continued implementation, development, growth and improvement of the library consortium program.
This position may be remote but must be located in California.
Education: Degree in relevant field preferred.
- At least two-years experience in a California community college library or similar
- Experience with or responsibility for electronic information resources in a library setting
- Management or supervisory experience
- Participation in regional, state and/or national professional associations
- Experience handling complex contract and vendor negotiations
- Leadership of groups or organizations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of legal requirements for 508 compliance of electronic resources
- Ability to review/assess electronic resources for accessibility
- Skill in organizing work, handling multiple projects simultaneously,
- meeting deadlines and working/coordinating well with others
- Ability to write, format, edit and proof reports, announcements and
- Proficient personal computer skills, including email, Microsoft Office
- Ability to manage a relational database and website
- Ability to verbally communicate effectively with librarians, vendors and others
- Policy Formulation: Is responsible for making recommendations for appropriate changes or procedural improvements. Is expected to engage in discussions with appropriate committees and stakeholders as requested to communicate policy and legislative impacts.
- Planning: Is involved in some long-range planning related to the library consortium program including revenue and expense forecasting, and is responsible for the short-term planning necessary to accomplish the duties of the position.
- Decision Authority: Is expected, within established processes, to make appropriate decisions inherent in carrying out the position duties. Will only commit funds of the consortium within stated parameters.
- Budgetary Responsibilities: Is required to monitor overall expenses, and ensure consortium payments for resources subscribed to by colleges. Is expected to meet revenue expectations and communicate shifts in purchasing from libraries that could have a reasonable impact on program revenues.
- Fiscal Responsibilities: Is expected to work closely with League Fiscal Office to ensure accurate and timely information is provided for billing. May need to assist with contacting libraries for outstanding invoices, or work with vendors to resolve billing issues.
- Supervision Responsibilities: May supervise additional staff involved in various aspects of the Library Consortium.
- Membership: Interacts with association members through site visits,
- telephone conversations and participation at association conferences.
- Boards: Interacts with members of the Council of Chief Librarians Board of
- Government: Occasionally works with staff members of the System Office of the California Community Colleges and Legislative and Executive Staff Members.
- Other Organizations: Sits on Library Services Platform Governance Committee. Works closely with the CCL Executive Director.
- Association Staff: Works closely with the fiscal services department staff.
- Library Staff: Works closely with librarians and library staff throughout the state.
- Work with Director of District Services to develop, grow and improve the library consortium program.
- Survey and analyze needs of libraries regarding electronic information databases, hardware and computer-based information resources.
- Explore new information resources, options and tools which may be technologically feasible but currently not commercially available.
- Analyze the effectiveness of various products for delivery of information services to library users based on vendor presentations, committee reviews, vendor responses and trials.
- Serve as the primary negotiator for all resources offered through the CCL/CCLC library database cooperative purchasing program and review all vendor contracts.
- Work in close coordination with the League staff in the preparation and distribution of all marketing materials to librarians.
- Review all vendor contracts.
- Ensure 508 compliance of selected vendors.
- Assist the Council of Chief Librarians Electronic Access to Resources Committee, including attending meetings and conferring regularly with the chair.
- Recommend to Council of Chief Librarians Electronic Access to Resources Committee new electronic products for licensing and/or purchase and the renew al of products already supported by the consortium.
- Disseminate Council of Chief Librarians Electronic Access to Resources Committee activities, information-gathering methods and decisions through the CCL listserv, and the consortium website, the CCL Outlook, as well as other pertinent library discussion lists and sources.
- Provide and /or coordinate workshops, training events and seminars for California community college librarians and library staff related to this program.
- Attend Council of Chief Librarians board of directors meetings as necessary.
- Identify and facilitate equity of access issues for electronic resources for all users(distance learners, remote learners, and users with disabilities).
- Consult with other library consortia executives to promote programs of value to the California community colleges.
- Issue special reports and other information as requested.
- Attend League conferences as requested.
- Physical Requirements: Ability to lift and move boxes of weight not exceeding
- 25 pounds.
- Travel: Day and overnight travel required.
The League offers outstanding benefits including PERS, generous vacation and sick leave. Position is open until filled. Please submit cover letters and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.