Position: Library Department Head, Research and Engagement
Deadline: February 13, 2022
Pay Grade: 32E or 33E
The University of Delaware Library Museums, and Press seeks a dynamic individual to provide strategic leadership and operational oversight of the Research and Engagement department, which provides expertise, services, and resources to advance the university’s research mission. The position will also support a cross-divisional team of liaison librarians in the design, implementation, and evaluation of innovative outreach programs and services to achieve library strategic directions.
Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Learning, Engagement, and Curriculum Support, this position will lead a diverse and collegial department of 8 exempt staff and 1 nonexempt staff member.
Librarians in the Research and Engagement department engage and collaborate with faculty members, researchers, and students across the lifecycle of research and scholarship, offering workshops, consultation services, and online and in-person reference services. Members of the department are liaison librarians to one or more academic departments and are also responsible for instruction, outreach, and collection development. In addition, librarians are responsible for communication with their liaison areas and participation in projects related to scholarly communication, research data management, open textbooks initiatives, institutional repository and other library services.
Two department librarians currently provide part-time support for the UDLib/SEARCH program, providing statewide access to databases and related teacher training to all public Delaware K-12 schools.
● Provide operational oversight for the Research and Engagement Department
● Maintain a visible presence on campus, representing the University of Delaware Library, Museums and Press in faculty success initiatives and research forums
● Chair the Library, Museums and Press Subject Liaison Committee in order to collaboratively plan, promote, and assess liaison services across the departments and divisions in which staff who provide these services are housed
● Collaborate with the Head of Student Success and Curriculum Partnerships to articulate expectations and ensure the success of liaison librarians in their teaching roles
● Collaborate with peers in the Library Management Council to articulate expectations and ensure the success of liaison librarians as they navigate support of collections, scholarly communications and research
● Communicate a broad vision for the department in alignment with the priorities of the division, Library and the University and with a focus upon scale and sustainability
● Foster a collegial, inclusive and antiracist workplace and educational environment
● Direct virtual and on-call reference services
● Support an environment of exploration, assessment, and implementation of new approaches outreach and research support that is responsive to the needs of instructors and students in a changing learning environment
● Demonstrate commitment to active professional development for self and team to maintain currency on trends related to university needs, technology and library services
● Supervise, provide mentorship, advocacy and support to departmental staff, including hiring, training, scheduling, and workload balance
● Participate in the full range of services and department programs; represent and speak on behalf of the department and the Library and serve on library, university and professional committees
● This position may serve as liaison to one or more academic departments
● Master’s degree in library and information science
● At least five years of professional work experience in academic libraries
● Demonstrated knowledge of current trends in reference services and the multifaceted work of library liaisons to support researcher and student success
● Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and work effectively in a team-based environment
● Demonstrated ability to analyze data and apply evidence to decision making
● Experience planning, introducing, and leading change
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills expressed orally and in writing
● Demonstrated user-focused service philosophy and proven ability to work effectively with a diverse population of faculty, staff, students, and community members
● Commitment to fostering an inclusive educational environment and workplace
● Three years of successful supervisory, management, or leadership experience with a demonstrated commitment to mentoring, training, and staff development
● Experience assessing liaison services at a programmatic level
● Experience implementing successful, scalable campus programs
General Information: The University of Delaware Library, Museums and Press is committed to student success, scholarly research and inclusive excellence. The Library is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion, and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. The Library collaborates with strategic campus partners to achieve these priorities, as well as with national professional organizations including the Association of Research Libraries, Center for Research Libraries, Coalition for Networked Information, Council on Library and Information Resources, Digital Library Federation, Greater Western Library Alliance, OCLC Research Partnership, SPARC, HathiTrust, the National Digital Stewardship Alliance, the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) and the ACRL Diversity Alliance. More information about the Library is available at library.udel.edu/.
Benefits: 22 vacation days. Generous 403(b) retirement plan. Tuition remission for dependents and spouses, and course fee waiver for employee. Full information about University of Delaware benefits is available at: www.udel.edu/benefits/.
Appointment: Appointment expected at the rank of Associate Librarian / Library Department Head I (pay grade 32E) or full Librarian / Library Department Head II (pay grade 33E). This is a career rank exempt position the University of Delaware Library Rank and Promotion System. Department Head responsibilities are assigned for a renewable five year-term.
To Apply: Include cover letter and resume, along with the names and contact information of three employment references, following University of Delaware application instructions: www.udel.edu/udjobs/
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.