Library Director-- Lake Region Public Library (Devil's Lake, ND)
Post date: Mar 13, 2019
SCOPE OF THE POSITION
Library Director reports directly to the Board of Trustees, and is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Library operations to efficiently and effectively serve the needs of the Lake Region community. We are seeking a candidate with strong communication, supervisory, technical and budgetary skills who will lead the Lake Region Public Library in its service to the community.
- A Master of Library Science (MLS) from an ALA-Accredited institution is preferred; however, a master’s degree or bachelor’s degree in a related or appropriate field will be considered.
- Three years of library experience preferred
- One year of supervisory experience preferred
- Relate effectively with Board, staff, patrons, and others in the community.
- Assist Library Foundation with Fundraising initiatives.
- Hire, train, and supervise staff, including:
- Set and follow necessary personnel procedures implementing the City policies and laws
- Prioritize, schedule and assign staff duties; as well as evaluate and provide feedback
- Create a positive work environment
- Oversee collection development, including print and non-print resources:
- Maintain balance in ensuring opposing viewpoints are presented in the collection
- Obtain new materials and plan for the disposal of outdated materials
- Provide resources for adults, teens, and children
- General Library Administration
- Develop and oversee the library budget
- Create, implement, and enforce necessary library policies with the Board’s approval to maintain quality operation of the library for patrons and community
- Determine maintenance needs for library infrastructure and long-range planning
- Oversee cleaning and cleanliness of the library facility
- Lead the integration of information technology in library programs and resources
- Create and promote awareness of library programs and resources available to the community through multiple events each year, including:
- Outreach events for the public
- Education opportunities for the public and local school systems
- Collaborate with other libraries and organizations when mutually beneficial
- Work to achieve and maintain all North Dakota Library Coordinating (NDLCC) Public Library Standards.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Must have knowledge in the following areas:
- Competence in current library technologies
- Selection and organization of library materials
- Reference and information services
- Library administration, budgeting, and management of personnel
- Applicable bylaws and procedures
Must demonstrate the following skills:
- Leadership/supervisory ability and decision making skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Effective verbal and listening communication skills
- Math proficiency
- Computer skills such as typing, email, processing software, etc.
- Effective public relations and public speaking skills
- Time management skills
- Excellent communication with school-aged children
Must demonstrate the following attributes:
- Maintain standards of conduct
- Be respectful
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Be flexible
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
- Excellent command of the English language
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Endure extended periods of standing, walking, sitting, and talking or hearing. Duties include occasional climbing or balancing (ladders), pushing/pulling items, lifting/carrying up to 40 lbs, keyboarding, reaching, stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
- Must have transport to work-related meetings, workshops, conferences, etc.
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job:
- Duties are performed in an office environment. Hazards are minor and controllable, but may include exposure to human error and angry/hostile people. Noise level is low to moderate.
This description is not intended as a complete list of duties, skills, and responsibilities or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended as a reasonable outline of principle job elements essential to meeting the performance standards of this position.
Salary Range: $40,000-$50,000
The City of Devils Lake is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested parties may apply for this position by : Applying Here