Research Data Systems Integration Specialist-- University of Arizona
Post date: June 17, 2019
Department : Libraries - Digital Innovation & Stewardship (1705)
Location : Main Campus
The University of Arizona Libraries’ Office of Digital Innovation and Stewardship (ODIS) seeks a Research Data Systems Integration Specialist to support the roll-out of a campus-wide research data repository. This research data repository is intended to be a long-term archive containing the version of record of publically-shared datasets and software produced by University of Arizona researchers. This position will work closely with stakeholders within the Library and across campus to identify, prioritize, develop, deploy, and evaluate bi-directional integrations between stakeholders’ workflows and the data repository that (1) enable transitioning research data from active-phase computing and storage systems to the data repository for long-term storage and publication in a way that is streamlined, sustainable, and provides a value-added experience to UA researchers; and (2) adds value to existing scholarly and research information management systems, and provides a framework for improved compliance with campus data policies. In conjunction with the Data Management Specialist and Data Curation Librarian, this position will also support the adoption of the data repository through outreach to departments and researchers and by developing and delivering online and/or in-person training material for individual users. This is a fixed-term 3 year position, renewed annually.
Visit the University Libraries website to learn more about us.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Engage with major campus stakeholders to identify and, where necessary, develop workflows for integrating the research data repository system with existing library, campus computing, and research administration systems.
- Develop and deploy API-based interfaces, web front-ends, and other components within a SOA architecture to implement the above workflows. This includes designing specifications, identifying appropriate technology stacks, and implementing the system in a maintainable and sustainable fashion.
- Conduct user testing to evaluate whether the systems/workflows/integrations are meeting stakeholder and library needs.
- Assist in conducting outreach to campus units and individual researchers to generate awareness and buy-in for using the data repository for campus research data products.
- Create and deliver in-person and online user-oriented training on integrating the data repository into research workflows.
- Participate in discussions regarding data repository curation and governance policies as needed.
- Assist in managing the day-to-day operation of the repository (addressing user support requests, managing quotas).
- The UA Libraries support the UA’s diversity and inclusiveness strategic initiatives designed to create an inclusive environment for all faculty, staff, and students. The candidate is expected to support diversity and inclusiveness efforts in the department and college.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated ability to reach out to and engage diverse stakeholders (including researchers) to evaluate needs, identify gaps, and collaboratively implement solutions.
- Ability to develop and deliver instructional material for training purposes.
- Knowledge of the kinds of data, systems, and interactions between them that typically exist in an institution of higher education, including SSO authentication, Active Directory/LDAP, and enterprise data storage systems.
- Basic familiarity with data security and restricted data (HIPAA, ITAR, CUI, etc.).
- Knowledge of needs, tools/approaches, and emerging trends in research data management, open science and research reproducibility.
- Initiative, optimism, flexibility, time management, follow-through, and independent problem-solving.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative and inclusive environment, one that values and leverages the benefits of diverse perspectives.
- Positive attitude and strong demonstration of Our Values: Collaboration, Continuous Learning, Diversity, Innovation, and Integrity.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a computationally oriented field including, Computer Science, Software Engineering, and Information Systems or other related field AND 2 years relevant experience; OR,
- Equivalent combination of training and 5 years of relevant experience; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.
- Demonstrated experience applying fundamental software development concepts, patterns, tools, and frameworks in production environments using at least one modern, web-friendly programming language (e.g., Python, Ruby, PHP, .NET, Java, etc.).
- Strong and demonstrable ability to analyze, document, and de-construct workflows and procedures to translate user needs into technical solutions.
- Demonstrated experience developing (meta)data mapping, transfer, and transformation pipelines in the context of systems integrations using protocols and standards such as HTTP, FTP, MQTT, REST APIs, and JSON.
- Demonstrated understanding of the components, processes, and practices in the scholarly communications and/or research data management environments in higher education.
- Demonstrated experience working with relational databases and developing web services.
- Demonstrated understanding of research data storage and transfer platforms and tools such as HPC, iRODS, Globus, rsync, S3, etc.
- Experience developing and deploying services using technologies such as Dell Boomi, Red Hat Fuse, Informatica, Mulesoft, AWS, Azure, SQL, Docker, or other relevant enterprise tools/technologies.
- Experience developing, marketing, and teaching workshops/training sessions.
- Demonstrated familiarity with at least one digital preservation and interoperability tool or concept: OAIS Reference Model, Archivematica, OAI-PMH, BagIt, XML transformations, or others.
- Demonstrated familiarity with at least one of the following: digital repository systems or services (eg., Dataverse, Dspace, Samvera, Figshare, TIND, etc.), metadata models (e.g., Dublin Core, Schema.org, EML, CodeMeta, etc.), or services for citing and sharing data (e.g., Datacite, CrossRef, ORCiD, SHARE, etc.).
Posted Rate of Pay : $55,000-$75,000
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Posting Number : A23775
Contact Information for Candidates : Krissandra McNeill (email@example.com)
Close Date : Open Until Filled
Review Begins On : 07/17/2019
Special Instructions to Applicant
In your cover letter, please describe how your qualifications and experience are a good fit for this position.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
Quick Link for Internal Postings : http://uacareers.com/postings/39114