User Interface Designer-- West Virginia University
Post date: Oct 07, 2019
The West Virginia University Libraries is seeking a User Interface Designer. The designer reports to the Head of Digital and Web Services in WVU Libraries and works as part of the Systems Development unit and with the Library Web Team. This position designs user interfaces for the WVU Libraries websites, web applications, digital collections, and other web-based resources, developing and conducting usability testing as part of a collaborative environment consisting of library, university, and community stakeholders.
The designer has a strong commitment to user-centered services, improving user experience, web accessibility, and service excellence. This position develops and conducts usability testing, evaluating and visualizing the results. The designer communicates results and makes recommendations to improve digital collections, web applications, websites, and services based on both usability testing data and market research. The designer works collaboratively with library faculty and staff to use the information gathered through testing to design user-friendly and intuitive interfaces.
This position works in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, work environment and works well both independently and as part of a team. The designer works with library faculty and staff, other professional technologists at WVU, and WVU students, and has strong interpersonal communication and design management skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
Digital Collections and Websites
- Creates digital collections and websites that adhere to WVU University Relations standards, as well as web standards for accessibility, compatibility, performance, search engine optimization, responsiveness, and content management sustainability.
- Conducts design research for incremental development and redesign for WVU Libraries digital collections and websites.
- Works as part of the Libraries’ Systems Development unit to design, develop, maintain and improve web application user interfaces.
- Proposes and implements user interface enhancements and updates to improve accessibility, compatibility, performance and responsiveness based on market research and usability testing.
- Designs, develops, and works in a shared/version-controlled development and deployment environment with content specialists, designers, and developers.
Market Research/Usability Studies
- Designs, conducts ongoing market research, and usability studies using best practices and research ethics as an integrated part of the design process including surveys for incremental improvements to WVU Libraries websites.
- Researches usability issues for digital collections, websites, and web applications.
- Conducts patron and staff side usability testing to enhance patron experience as well as staff side workflows.
- Meets and works collaboratively across the libraries and university providing design services and issues related to user experience groups.
- Supervises design, social media, and web design graduate assistants and/or student workers.
Required skills and experience
- A bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field, and/or 4 years of experience in graphic design, web design and development with 2 years of usability testing (or combination of education and experience).
- Portfolio demonstrating excellent graphic design skills for websites, digital projects, and other online user interfaces, including designs for responsive websites.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign software.
- Experience working with WCAG and Section 508 accessibility requirements.
- Understanding of Ajax, JSON, and Restful systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work with revision control systems, such as Git.
- Ability to communicate in English, both written and oral.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Analytical skills to research and evaluate new technologies for front end web development.
- Experience with various design research mechanisms including analytics, focus groups, intercepts, pathway mapping, surveys, and usability tests.
- Ability to scale a design to multiple development frameworks and template engines across a variety of Content Management Systems, services, and software.
Preferred skills and experience
- 4+ years of experience in graphic design, web design and development.
- 2+ years of experience with usability testing.
- Experience with service design, photography and video editing.
- Experience designing HTML emails for communication and marketing.
- Experience with usability scales and tests with TechSmith Morae.
- Experience using PHP and Ruby.
- Experience with data visualization and presentation, designing responsive web applications, and design management and group facilitation.
- Master’s degree in Graphic Design, Human-Computer Interaction, User Experience Design
- UX Certification by internationally-recognized group
- Experience using component-based systems and modern tooling to generate production CSS/JS.
As an integral part of a land-grant institution, West Virginia University Libraries serve the university community, with an enrollment of approx. 30,000 students, and state residents. The library system is composed of the Downtown Campus Library, Charles C. Wise Jr. Library, Evansdale Library, Health Science Library, West Virginia and Regional History Center, and libraries at Potomac State College and West Virginia Institute of Technology. Onsite collections include more than 2.5 million books, 740K+ eBooks, and over 90,000 online journals. WVU Libraries belong to the Pennsylvania Academic Library Consortium, Inc. (PALCI) and the Greater Western Library Association (GWLA). Library website is http://library.wvu.edu.
Located in the scenic rolling hills of Morgantown, WV. West Virginia University is a land-grant institution and the state’s flagship university. It is ranked as an R1 Research University (Highest Research Activity) in the 2018 Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education and is also among the top public universities in U.S. News and World Reports Best Colleges. It is a vibrant campus of 14 colleges and schools offering 350+ bachelors, masters, doctoral, and professional degree programs.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, and veterans.
Meeting the needs of today's professional couples is a critical factor in WVU's success in recruiting and retaining new faculty and senior staff. Our Dual Career Program assists couples in your employment search. WVU belongs to the OH/Western PA/WV Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC). Please visit dualcareer.wvu.edu and ohwpawvherc.org for more information and job postings. Reimbursement for moving expenses is available.